Disclaimer: I received a sample box of Perfect Bars to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
I have been on a perpetual quest to find snacks that are not only easy to take on the go (sorry hummus) and are tasty (most protein bars are just gross), but still fill me up and aren’t filled with unpronounceable ingredients.
I’m happy to say that I think I’ve found a winner, and would like to introduce you to the Perfect Bar. Not just a cute name, I’ve found that Perfect Bars are great for a post-workout snack or a mid-day snack to get me through from lunch to dinner. I ate one the other day on my way to a workshop after my long run, and it held me over for 3 HOURS.
With so many healthy ingredients, you wouldn’t expect them to taste as good as they are, either, but I was pleasantly surprised. They don’t taste chalky like some other bars do, and they are true to the main flavor – the peanut butter ones just taste like real peanut butter. My favorite, the Almond Coconut, just tastes like almond butter and coconut.
Here are the “tech specs” of the bars that I have fallen in love with:
- Every single bar is non-GMO, gluten free, certified organic kosher
- The protein in the bars ranges from 7 – 17 grams, which is (in my unofficial opinion) plenty for a solid snack or for post-workout recovery. For a more official opinion, I found an article on RunnersWorld.com that says between 10-20 grams of protein after a workout is more than enough to reap the benefits.
- Organic honey is the preservative in the bars.
- While they come refrigerated, the bars will last up to two weeks at room temperature.
- All of the bars are vegetarian, and the Almond Coconut is vegan (it doesn’t have any dairy).
- Many are made with peanut butter and/or dates, but the Almond Coconut and Almond Acai are peanut butter and date free!
- Every bar includes their organic “Whole Food Powder” which consists of: kale, flax seed, rose hip, orange, lemon, papaya, tomato, apple, alfalfa, celery, kelp, dulse, carrot, spinach. I promise you can’t taste the individual flavors. I love sneaky nutrition!
I happened to pick up a Perfect Bar a couple of months ago (Almond Coconut) and it sat in the back of the fridge for awhile. I just pulled it out a week or so ago, and (thankfully) it was still within the best by range, and it tasted just as delicious as the fresh sample box that I taste tested. While the best by date is an obvious suggestion, rumor has it that the bars will actually last up to 9 months (!) in the fridge, if you can somehow not eat it before then.
By now I’m sure you want to try some, too, right? You can pick up a bar in grocery stores like Whole Foods, Sprouts, Kroger, Safeway, even Costco, OR YOU COULD WIN A BOX FROM ME! The sample box has 7 full size bars and 2 mini bars, so you’ll get to taste almost one of everything. It’s super easy to enter below, the only catch is that you have to be a U.S. resident to win! The contest will close at 8:00 am MST on February 14, 2016, and the winner will be announced by 8:00 pm MST on February 14, 2016.